Wednesday, July 16

buried past

Time is fading
fast
And you are nearly my
buried past
‘Cause suddenly, the sun can see
My eyes once more
And all it took, was giving up
What I adored
Its true, It was you
I adored

Your heart is what I thought
I’d always know
I lay you down to sleep where
I can let you go
Your smile will stay a memory
To light my day
I’ll keep that close to my own heart
And find a way
Hope comes with the dawn
I give away

But time was never our companion
Even you had to abandon
The dreams I thought we’d shared
I thought we’d share...

The ghost of all I hoped to be
Sits by my side
Whispers thoughts of moving on
And finding life
The song will change from dark to day
And heal the soul
And what was left broken here
Will one day
I know that one day
Will be whole

this piece was a sad one - i first began writing it with my grandmother in mind. ...wondering how she was able to move on and keep going after my grandfather - her heart and her life - passed away. the song took a more personal turn when i met a wonderful girl who was my age and trying to recover from losing her fiance - her heart and her life - in a car accident.
the gospel changes everything about death - gives it meaning - and pain is still part of the reality. :} but it doesn't have to consume us.
...that's why i wrote this song.

2 comments:

angela said...

aw, that's so sweet! Has Grandma Gayle heard that song? :)

emily said...

yeah, she has, though i don't think she got that she was part of the inspiration, or that she really understood what it was about... :}