Thursday, July 3

the sacrifice

before i can really begin to talk about my music, the beginnings must be shared!

this is the story of how it all began. ...twice.

if first began when i was in jr high, with a handsome young man (who was very much in love with my older sister, angie) - his name was jim. :) i knew i liked him for her when he taught me how to play my first basic chords!! (a G, C, and D if i remember correctly)
and i LOVED it! i immediately loved the guitar! :D i wanted to learn more, but shortly thereafter, jim was gone on a mission, so i never tried again.

*side note to this story - this fantastic guy is now my brother-in-law and we all couldn't be happier! :D *

the years went by, and i found myself college roommates with the most amazing bomb-shell-blonde-arizonian, Kim! i claimed her as my best friend and life was good. :)
she is a guitar-genius as well, so one night, i got up the courage and asked her if she'd teach me. she said she would love to - but first i would have to make the ultimate sacrifice.

i would have to cut my nails.

"vain" does not begin to describe how i felt about my unnaturally strong, healthy, beautiful, and long nails. i am a rare case in my family with such an endownment, so it was an evening i won't forget. after an hour or two of internal struggle, i finally got up the courage, chopped them down to the nubbins, and told kim i was committed! :D
she then proceeded to patiently teach me about chords, frets, finger-placement, and Last Kiss until my fingers were sore and i had to stick them in the freezer! :)

and it's been true guitar-love ever since! :D

1 comment:

Kimberly Moore said...

Yay! I made it in the blog!! I love it already and I'm totally your biggest fan! I might even consider myself a "groupie!" You're awesome and I love, love, love your music. You rock!
I adore you!!
Kim :)