Tuesday, March 23

GRADUATION!

graduation is on the horizon and it has kind of forced me to reevaluate what it means to be me.

what it means to be happy!

i live a full and busy life as a student and it gives me a lot of satisfaction!

for as taxing as it has been to work to put myself through school, take full-time classes, have a calling, participate in my ward, spend time with my family and still have a social life (which i couldn’t live without!) – it has been a wonderful and exciting experience. i have truly loved it!

but arriving at graduation marks the end of the ‘student’ identity i’ve always lived by.

and no longer being a student kind of pulls the rug out from under how i’ve always kind of defined myself.

i mean, who am i if i’ve left that forgivable state of “growing up” and suddenly i’m supposed to BE “something”...or "someone"?

i’m not just someone’s daughter anymore, i’ve outgrown that as a defining title, and being a sister is part of me but doesn’t take into account other life experiences. i’m not someone’s wife yet, nor anyone’s mother. and what's more, i’m certainly not my job, because the closer i get to graduation, the more i see i would like to experience (and would be good at) A LOT of different kinds of work!

logically, work can't be the defining factor - no matter how many people think it is after you graduate.

because, if that were the case, who will i be when i want to try decorating cakes for a living? and then be an event coordinator? i am a rockin HR manager, but you know, i’m not sure if i’ll go back into it. what if i taught English to Portuguese speakers or vice-versa? did you know i’d love to write a book and teach workshops on marriage relationships and/or loving yourself?! would that make me an author or a counselor? and am i none of those things – a teacher, decorator, coordinator, counselor, author, artist, hr manager, etc – if i went into modeling?

...and when you come down to it – can ANY of those titles, even the non-work associated ones, really define you?
i mean, i AM someone’s daughter, sister, friend, etc, but do any ONE of those capture “ME”?

who, in one all-encompassing word, am i supposed to BE now?!

...so that’s what i’ve been thinking about.
and i've decided that it really isn’t about
BEING something at all.
because i do not BECOME my work.
and for that matter, i cannot simply BE someone, not even ME,
because i am always changing!!

then what is it about?

…i think it’s who we’re becoming.

Becoming TODAY – right NOW!

today, am i choosing to become a fuller, more open, loving me?
am i living today, whatever i do in it/wherever it is done,
like it matters and that it’s helping me reach my goals?

…goals....

maybe that’s the key!

if our goals of who we are striving to be revolve around a title
like “wife” or “CEO”,
then we may be unhappy or lost in the interim
when we AREN’T those things yet (or possibly, ever).

i think that’s why heavenly father gave us a glimpse of the plan –
so we’d have something greater,
something more all-encompassing
of ALL of our life experiences
to aim for!

I AM A GODDESS IN TRAINING!! :D

we are ALL gods and goddesses in training!!

when we understand that no matter where we go, what occupation we fill, who we are with, or when we pass those 'personal landmarks' we are still in the process of BECOMING a god or goddess, it puts it all a little more into perspective. :)

basically, when we live in such a way that we're
on the road to becoming that goal,
then it doesn't matter what given, outward, or extra-cirricular titles we try on.
because
"all these things shall give thee experience and shall be for thy good!" (D&C 122:7)

let's close with a quote that i absolutely love about not limiting yourself to a definition...

"That's one thing I've learned in all my years watching earth...is that people aren't what they may seem. There are shop boys, and there are boys who just happen to work in shops for the time being. And trust me Tristan, you're no shop boy.” - stardust
BOO-YA! :D
world, HERE I COME!

5 comments:

Stephanie said...

You AMAZE and INSPIRE me lady! I'm so glad I found your blog! Thank you for sharing all of this!

Ross & Amanda Goodman- but mostly Amanda :) said...

I would buy your book!

tessawitt said...

Em, saddest day of my life will be when you leave. But I'm sure you'll be really happy. The disparity of emotions will be unprecedented. You must keep writing this blog. It will be the only thing I have to hold on to when you leave!

shellangel said...

Thank you Em. As always you can put words to emotions and feelings that help me to be a happier and more complete person.

Amy said...

This was something I struggled with when I graduated, so I totally related to your thoughts and loved your positive perspective. It reminded me of one of my favorite Ensign articles of all time. I copied the reference below, and think your comments echo the sentiments/idea of the talk, so I think you'd enjoy reading it if you're not familiar with it already. Thanks for your thoughts -- I always love your blog!

Dallin H. Oaks, “The Challenge to Become,” Ensign, Nov 2000, 32–34